June is National Safety Month! National Safety Month can be a great opportunity to educate, inform and engage your members about important safety issues that impact them, such as prescription drug abuse, slips and falls and distracted driving. These issues are particularly important as they impact millions of people. For example, consider these stats:
Prevent Prescription Drug Abuse
- Nearly one-third of people aged ≥12 using drugs for first time in 2009 began by using a prescription drug non-medically
- 70 percent of people who abuse prescription pain drugs got them from friends or relatives
- Many parents frequently leave unused prescription drugs in open medicine cabinets while locking their liquor cabinets
Stop Slips, Trips and Falls
- In 2013, 2.5 million nonfatal falls among older adults were treated in ED & >734,000 of these patients were hospitalized
- Falls are the most common cause of traumatic brain injuries
Put an End to Distracted Driving
- Every day >9 people are killed & >1153 people injured in crashes involving distracted driver
- Younger, inexperienced drivers have the highest proportion of distraction-related fatal crashes
Your subscription to the mPulse Mobile Platform includes access to a customized SMS library that includes not only texts about National Safety Month, but a myriad of other tried and tested educational texts addressing important healthcare-related issues.
Check out this infographic, including example text messages from our mPulse SMS Library, and contact your account representative to learn more about this program.
Click here to download the National Safety Month Infographic (PDF)